6 Tips for Finding the Best Marriage Counselor Orange County
Marriage is like a dance. In a healthy, fulfilling marriage, both partners are dancing together in coordinated, smoothly choreographed steps that create a joyful, edifying sense of contentment as they sail across the dance floor. When a marriage is in trouble, the dance becomes awkward and uncoordinated—and toes get stepped on. So how can a couple get their groove back?
Marriage counseling provides an objective examination of the couple’s dynamic, helping to identify areas of the relationship that are in need of a fresh approach or a good tweak. Marriage counseling can provide constructive ways to make needed improvements in communication skills, conflict resolution techniques, financial incompatibility, intimacy issues, and more equitable management of household responsibilities.
Finding the best marriage counselor Orange County can seem a bit daunting at first glance. With so many therapists in the area, what criteria should one use when selecting the right marriage counselor for your marital issues? With that in mind, here are six helpful tips for locating the best marriage counselor Orange County:
- Couples counseling should be an area of expertise. There are plenty of therapists who claim to “work with couples” in their practice. This isn’t good enough. Seek out therapists who devote at least 30% of their practice to couples counseling versus individual counseling. Working with couples needs to be a primary focus of their professional practice.
- Look for a compatible fit. Determining whether a marriage counselor is a good fit for each spouse may take some trial and error, but it is well worth the effort. If after 2 or 3 sessions either party feels out of sync with the personality or style of the therapist it is time to trial another. Both spouses should feel at ease with the therapist, and have a sense that their input is validated.
- Look for evidence-based therapy. Most therapists have a particular therapeutic specialty or style. The best marriage counselors Orange County utilize evidence-based approaches, those modalities that have been clinically tested and proven to be effective in the industry. Two such approaches are Emotionally-Focused Couples Therapy and the Gottman Method.
- Ask for referrals. There are several sources from which to seek referrals for a marriage counselor. While a family member or friend may be a good source for a referral, it may not be ideal if you wish to keep your marital problems to yourself. A family physician, clergy member, or OB/Gyn can all be good sources for couples counseling referrals.
- Ask about their opinion on divorce. When shopping for a marriage counselor it is important that their values are aligned with your own. If a couple wants to avoid divorce if at all possible but a therapist has a casual viewpoint on divorce, there will be a values conflict. A couple that values faith-based beliefs on the sanctity of marriage would be ill-served by a secular therapist with a differing worldview.
- Ask if the therapist sets expectations. Marriage counseling works best when goals and expectations are identified early on. The best marriage counselor Orange County will define treatment goals based on the issues communicated by the couple in the initial interview. Marriage counseling is typically a fairly short-term therapy that is goal-oriented, so seek a therapist who will create a treatment plan.
Phaite Behavioral Healthcare Provides Effective Marriage Counseling Orange County
Phaite Behavioral Healthcare offers a team of masters and doctoral level therapists who help couples and families in need of improved communication and conflict resolution skills. By improving interpersonal relating, couples strengthen the deep connection of the marital bond. For families in crisis, marriage counseling can provide necessary tools for managing the stress while continuing to support each other. For more information about our marriage counseling services in Orange County, California, please contact Phaite Behavioral today at (888) 259-1268.